Commissioned by Mallorcan financier Joan March Ordinas, the March Palace, located in the old town — specifically, where Conquistador Street meets the steps of the Cathedral, and with its main entrance on Palau Reial Street –, was built between 1939 and 1945.
The palace occupies the 1,500 metres squared of the former Santo Dominto Convent.
Today, the building is the headquarters of the renowned March Foundation, which comprises a museum, an auditorium, a library (which has been semi-open to the public since 1970) and a café.
The museum houses three temporary exhibitions and one permanent collection of contemporary sculpture, including works by Henry Moore, Chillida, Berrocal and Alfaro, among others, which Bartolomé March Servera, the founder’s youngest son, moved from the Cega Tower at Cala Rajada.
Among the pieces exhibited is the famous 18th century Neapolitan Nativity Scene, an awe-inspiring work of great beauty which shows not only the birth of Jesus, but also contemporary daily life through the many human and animal figures and rich compositional details.
The Foundation’s library, specialised in Balearic studies, has bibliographic and documentary resources that date back to the 16th century. It houses more than 2,000 manuscripts (codices and a series of autographical documents) and 60,000 volumes of text, periodical publications, articles and other printed material.
The Auditorium organises a concert orchestra programme and contemporary music cycles dedicated to different composers.
Entry to these concerts is free.