In 1571 a wall was built to protect Santanyí from looting by the Saracens, we still access the town’s centre through the old porta murada (gateway).
Its winding streets take us to the Town Hall square and the Sant Andreu church (18th–19th centuries). Inside the church is an impressive organ dating back to 1762. It was built for the Santo Domingo convent in Palma and moved to this parish in 1837. The Capilla del Roser is a beautiful gothic chapel (14th century); its austere decorations give it a mysterious ambience. Across from the church a gate leads to the romantic, shady rectory garden, built between the 16th and 18th centuries.
There is a significant cultural offer in Santanyí, centred on paintings, music and poetry. The Teatro Principal has a year round programme, it is open Fridays and Sundays offering plays, conferences and literary presentations. Next to the theatre is an original dry stone cistern, surrounded by a garden, which was built in the 18th century.
The area’s cliffs provide Majorcan architecture with the typical Santanyí stone, a hard golden calcarenite, used in building the cathedral as well as modern hotels and country homes.
We mustn’t forget to visit the many coves dotted along the Santanyí coastline, enjoying the crystal clear waters. A favourite is Cala Figuera, here we can take a stroll and stop for lunch, enjoying fresh fish just brought in by the local flotilla of llaüts.